Letter to the Editor: Greek life will not endorse Student Government candidates

Carissa Liz Castillo

As Student Government elections are approaching, we the presidents of the Interfraternity Council, Multicultural Greek Council, National Pan-Hellenic Council, and Panhellenic Council would like to take a moment to clarify some misleading messages about the fraternity and sorority life community in the media.

There is a long history of members of the fraternity and sorority community serving in Student Government. However, their involvement is always founded in their identities as Texas State students, not as members of their Greek-lettered organizations. Fraternity and sorority life, or Greek life, is a common platform in the Student Government elections this year, but it should be understood that we will not be endorsing any candidates.

It is important that our members and the Texas State community understand that there are several Greek-lettered organizations operating in San Marcos that are not recognized as student organizations by the university. Membership in a Greek-lettered organization does not directly translate to being a member of one of the four chartered fraternity and sorority life councils.

We encourage our members and fellow students to do their research on all candidates, their platforms, campaign promises, values, actions, and affiliations when deciding how to cast their vote. Voting is a vital element to making student voices heard on campus. We urge the members of our community to cast their vote as a student of Texas State, regardless of their membership in the fraternity and sorority community.

If there are any questions about the recognition of Greek-lettered organizations, please visit the FSL website at fsl.dos.txstate.edu.

– Tomas Hernandez, Jr., Interfraternity Council President

Laura Alvarado, Multicultural Greek Council President

Chani Cleveland, National Pan-Hellenic Council President

and Addison McKissack, Panhellenic Council President