Hays County voters turn out on Election Day

City Council Place 5 candidate Zach Sambrano (left) talks to Texas State business management major Payton Murdock (right) about voting, Tuesday, Nov. 3,  2020, at the Performing Arts Center on Texas State’s campus. Sambrano said that as a young person, he feels he can connect to issues that matter to many students such as police reform.

• Hays County Precinct 4 Commissioner Walt Smith (left) talks to voters Amara Magloire (left, center), Diana Barcenas (middle) and Audrey Cura-faz (right), Tuesday, Nov. 3,  2020, at the Performing Arts Center on Texas State’s campus. Smith was campaigning for Sherriff Gary Cutler and Precinct 3 Commissioner Lon Shell.

• Hays County voters wait in line to vote in the general election, Tuesday, Nov. 3,  2020, at the Performing Arts Center on Texas State’s campus.

• Jordan Berry (left) reads a voting information leaflet as Will Conley (right) looks on, Tuesday, Nov. 3,  2020, at the Performing Arts Center on Texas State’s campus. Conley was campaigning to reelect Hays County Sheriff Gary Cutler and Commissioner Lon Shell.

• UPD officer Sue Taylor (left), Mayor Jane Hughson (middle) and electioneer Catherine Wicker (right) discuss the Election Day scene, Tuesday, Nov. 3,  2020, at the Performing Arts Center on Texas State’s campus. Mayor Hughson was campaigning for her reelection.

• Antonio Palacios (left) campaigns for Hays County Sheriff candidate Alex Villalobos as voters come in for Election Day, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, at the Hays County Government Center.

• Hays County Sheriff candidate Alex Villalobos camps outside of the polls on Election Day, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, at the Hays County Government Center. Villalobos says his campaign team plans on being outside the polls until Election Day ends at 7 p.m.

• Kenneth Costilla (far left), Rhoda Chavira (middle left), Ruah Gleeson (middle right) and Mike Varela (far right) show their support for various candidates, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, at the Hays County Government Center.

• “Big Wig” greets voters on Election Day, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, at the Hays County Government Center. Big Wig’s owners, Jenny and Roland Ortiz, show support for Joe Biden outside the polls.

• Texas Rising and Move Texas help voters in lines by providing water bottles, cookies and snacks, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, outside the Performing Arts Center on Texas State’s campus. The volunteers were taking turns handing over water bottles and snack to people standing in the lines.

• Texas State students, voters and electioneers gather around the end of the line to vote and advocate for candidates, Tuesday, Nov. 3,  2020, at the Performing Arts Center on Texas State’s campus.

• Karen Ford rallies in voters on Election Day, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, at the Hays County Government Center. 

• Electioneers and voters hold signs next to the polls, Tuesday, Nov. 3,  2020, at the Performing Arts Center on Texas State’s campus.

• Charlie O’Neill (left), Sharon O’ Neill (middle) and Hays County Judge Ruben Becerra (right) survey the Election Day scene, Tuesday, Nov. 3,  2020, at the Performing Arts Center on Texas State’s campus. The O’Neill’s organization, Election Protection, has been around for more than 60 years and works year-round to ensure that all voters have an equal opportunity to vote.

• Texas State freshmen Calliope Bourdier (left) and Miranda Marquez (right) return after casting a ballot, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, at the Performing Arts Center on Texas State’s campus. They said it took about 50-60 minutes to vote.

• Emma Junkin, daughter of Judge David Junkin, waves to cars as they enter the Hays County Government Center, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, in San Marcos. 

• David Sambrano holds a sign advocating for his son, Zach Sambrano, who was running for City Council Place 5, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, outside of the Hays County Government Center. Sambrano said he had been out most of the day and was listening and dancing to music to help with entertainment.

• Bud Cooley (left) and CJ Cooley (right) sit outside of the entrance to the Hays County Government Center to greet cars as they enter, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, in San Marcos. CJ Cooley said that they had been sitting out since the polls opened in the morning and were advocating for candidates in Hays County although they are from Wilson County.

• Mike Varela sits on the bed of his truck on the evening of Election Day, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, at the Hays County Government Center. Varela and his friends were outside almost all day advocating for candidates and keeping up with the voter count.

• Volunteers help attendees check in, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, during Boko’s Election Watch Party at the LBJ Student Center Teaching Theater.

• Attendees spread out to ensure safe social distancing, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, during Boko’s Election Watch Party at the LBJ Student Center Teaching Theater.

• Texas State microbiology senior Claudia Gomez flips through her election stress kit packet, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, during Boko’s Election Watch Party at the LBJ Student Center Teaching Theater.

• Attendees write their names down on pieces of paper for a chance to win a prize during the raffles, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, during Boko’s Election Watch Party at the LBJ Student Center Teaching Theater. The athletics department donated the items for the raffle prizes.

• Charles Frazier hosts an election-themed game of trivia to give attendees more chances to win prizes, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, during Boko’s Election Watch Party at the LBJ Student Center Teaching Theater.

• Boko the Bobcat picks a name from a bowl for the first raffle of the night, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, during Boko’s Election Watch Party at the LBJ Student Center Teaching Theater. The athletics department donated the items for the raffle prizes.

• Assistant Director Mitzie Rojas (left) and Coordinator for Fitness and Wellness for the Department of Campus Recreation Josie Wielinski (right) wait in a designated room for free yoga, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, during Boko’s Election Watch Party at the LBJ Student Center Teaching Theater. Attendees could go to designated rooms designed to help destress throughout the event.

• Texas State finance freshman Karli Smith (right) and mass communication freshman Kylie Cox (left) take a break and make arts and craft bracelets, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, during Boko’s Election Watch Party at the LBJ Student Center Teaching Theater. Attendees could go to designated rooms for activities to help destress throughout the event.

• Assistant Director Mitzie Rojas (left) and Coordinator for Fitness and Wellness for the Department of Campus Recreation Josie Wielinski (right) demonstrate some stretching exercises for attendees, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, during Boko’s Election Watch Party at the LBJ Student Center Teaching Theater.

• Boko the Bobcat stretches during a breathing and stretching exercise, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, during Boko’s Election Watch Party at the LBJ Student Center Teaching Theater.

• Mayor Jane Hughson (left) reads out the results of the Hays County election as Marsha Moore (right) records the numbers on a chart during an election watch party held by Hughson, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020 in San Marcos. Hughson is the incumbent mayor running for reelection against four other candidates.

• Constable David Peterson (right) converses with Mark Kennedy (left) during his watch party the evening of Election Day, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, at Cafe on the Square. Peterson is the incumbent running against one other candidate and acquired 68.79% of the votes by the end of the night.

• Mayor Jane Hughson sits at a table during the election watch party she hosted, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, in San Marcos. Hughson is the incumbent mayor running for reelection against four other candidates.

• City Council Place 5 candidate Mark Gleason (center) and Mayor Jane Hughson (right) converse with Rob Roark (left) at the end of the night, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, at The Porch in Downtown San Marcos.