Bobcats ease by Eagles 62-61 with failed last second shot

Graphic by Shayan Faradineh | Managing Editor

The Texas State Men’s basketball team topped the Georgia Southern Eagles 62-61 after a missed Georgia three-pointer at the buzzard.
The Bobcats have improved to 14-8 on the season after the win in the Hanner Fieldhouse Jan. 25. In Sun Belt Conference play, the Bobcats are now 7-2 while the Eagles dropped to 5-3.
“This was a great win for us on the road against a very good team,” head coach Danny Kaspar said. “I am very proud of the guys how they fought back after the humbling feat on Saturday. Not many people come in here and beat Georgia Southern on their home floor. This has to got to be a win for the book as far as Texas State men’s basketball is concerned.”
Shooting improved for the Bobcats this game. Texas State knocked down eight of its first 10 shots including shooting 4-of-5 from long distance.
The Bobcats went on a 4:30 scoring drought during the first half, but sophomore guard Nijal Pearson ended it with a layup.
Going into the halftime, the Bobcats led 35-32.
Pearson began the next half with a three to increase the Bobcat lead to 38-32.
The Eagles answered by scoring 17 of the next 20 points to take over 49-41 with 10:29 left in the game.
The Bobcats were able to cut the lead down to one with a three-pointer from Pearson making the score 53-52.
Georgia Southern replied with five points to increase the lead to 57-52 with five minutes on the clock.
As the Bobcats upped their defense, Pearson and freshman guard Tre Nottingham scored the final ten points for Texas State.
The Bobcats ended the game 62-61 after a three-point attempt hit too hard of the goal.
Overall, the Bobcats shot 40.8 percent from the field goal. Texas State also went 70.6 percent from the charity stripe.
Pearson had a team-high for the night with 22 points, eight rebounds and three assists. Nottingham followed with 12 points and a career-high of five steals. Nottingham also recorded four assists and four rebounds.