Men’s basketball winning streak ends after 80-55 decision

Star File Photo

The Texas State men’s basketball team ended their six-game winning streak after falling to Louisiana in a 80-55 decision at Strahan Coliseum Jan. 20.
“I am very disappointed that we didn’t show more fight in the game,” head coach Danny Kaspar said. “Many of them let their offense dictate the rest of the game. When the shots were not falling, they just didn’t fight on the other end.”
The Bobcats fell to 13-8 for the season and 6-2 in Sun Belt Conference play.
On the other hand, Louisiana improved to 17-3 for the season and 7-0 in conference play to hold on to their No.1 spot in the conference.
Both teams had trouble finding their groove in the game. The scoreboard held 0-0 for the first two minutes of the game.
The Bobcats never led the Ragin’ Cajuns during the game but were able to close the gap to as low as six points with 7:11 left on the clock in the first half.
Going into the locker room at the half, the Bobcats trailed 32-20 after Louisiana stole the ball and shot the final shot of the half.
Texas State shot 32.2 percent from the field goal area and 56.0 from the charity stripe.
Overall, the Bobcats had 39 rebounds with 16 on the offensive end and 23 on the defensive side.
Louisiana shot 49.2 percent overall and 75.0 percent from the free throw line.
Both teams had 59 field goal attempts, yet the Ragin’ Cajuns made ten more than the Bobcats.
Leading for the Bobcats was freshman guard Shelby Adams with ten points. Junior forward Alex Peacock and junior guard Isaiah Gurley followed with nine points each.
Peacock had a team-high of nine rebounds and three steals. Senior Immanuel King recorded seven rebounds and one steal.
The Bobcats will continue their season with a two-game road trip to Georgia. Texas State will play Georgia Southern on Jan 25 with tipoff set for 6:30 p.m. Game two will be played against Georgia State on Jan 27 at 1:15 p.m.