City Council develops action plan for innovation district

San Marcos City Council votes August 7, 2018 to create an innovation district during City Council meeting.

Photo by

Christopher Green | News Reporter

The San Marcos City Council voted August 7 to establish a plan to create an innovation district in San Marcos, provide a Workforce Housing fund and renew the Microsoft Enterprise Agreement.
For the innovation district, the council agreed to define the boundaries of the district, as well as create and appoint members to an advisory group that will help create a governing structure. Overall, the council agreed to develop an action plan and move forward with this project, with the aforementioned details to be decided in further detail at a later date.
The council amended the Economic Development Policy and the Policy Regarding Use of the City of San Marcos Economic Development Supplemental Fund to include funding for activities associated with developing Workforce Housing, a term meant for households that make 60 to 120 percent of the area’s median income.
The Microsoft Enterprise Agreement with SHI Government Solutions Inc. was also renewed, which offers city employees Microsoft products for work purposes. The contract was renewed for $280,494
The next City Council meeting will be August 21 at 6:00 p.m. at City Hall.