High student attendance at job fair stuns businesses

By Jaden Edison
Students attend Bobcats CARE Aug. 24, a job and student organization fair. Photo Courtesy of Jaden Edison

Texas State Career Services began the school year by having a part-time job fair at the same time as Bobcats CARE, Aug 24, and stunning businesses with the student attendance.
Career Services hosts over 20 job fairs every year for Texas State students. The part-time job fair allowed over 50 businesses to reach out to the students who attend. Texas State Career Services’ decision to merge Bobcat Preview and the job fair made certain that the maximum number of freshman students would encounter the present businesses.
Austin Parks and Recreation employee Sam Waldorf could not believe the turn out by students.
“I’ve been to a couple of job fairs at Texas State and this is the busiest one I’ve ever been to,” Waldorf said. “There are a lot more students filling out our contact sheets because so many are filling through. It feels like a better use of time.”
Monica Galloway, human resources coordinator for Honda of San Marcos, called for backup because they were unprepared for the number of students.
“There were a lot more people than we expected,” Galloway said. “We had to call to get reinforcements and more materials. We were very overwhelmed.”
Galloway said that Honda of San Marcos hires almost all Texas State students for four of their positions and most applicants come from job fairs.
“All of those positions are filled by Texas State students because we are so flexible with their schedules,” Galloway said. “Normally we expect at least 10 students to fill out applications and the rest email or drop them off.”
Lindy McGee, education senior, said every job fair she has attended provided students with access to businesses they would not otherwise have on their own.
“I think the job fairs offer a lot of opportunities,” McGee said. “It’s a great way to get the first initial idea of a company or business, and it also allows students to ask questions directly to employers rather than having to email or call them.”
Assistant Director of Employer Relations Summer Salazar’s goal was to help students see past the initial desire to get a job.
“We encourage freshman and sophomore students to come explore and juniors and seniors to start considering internships,” Salazar said. “we want them to understand the importance of getting out there and meeting employers face-to-face.”
Salazar also hopes to change the idea that students have about job fairs at Texas State.
“I think we are changing the idea about what a job fair is,” Salazar said. “It’s not just about finding a full-time job. It’s about connecting with employers and getting your foot in the door.”