Planning and Zoning Commission denies housing development, citing housing cost and environmental impact

City Hall Photo Courtesy of Christopher Green

The Planning and Zoning Commission denied a request by developers TKAR Commercial Real Estate Services Aug. 28 to develop 27 single-family lots at 128 Spring Road.
Thomas Rhodes’ application on behalf of TKAR Commercial Real Estate Services is specifically to change the zoning of approximately 4,851 acres from the Future Development designation to Character District-3. Citizens and Planning and Zoning Commissioners voiced concerns over the environmental impact the development poses, as well as the potential increase in traffic in the area and the affordability of the potential housing. The developers proposed to build the 27 lots on five acres of the land.
The developers said they planned to build affordable housing for residents, but commissioners said proposed housing prices were too high: $100,000-$200,000. The request to build the lots still has to be reviewed by San Marcos’ City Council.
The 4,851 acres will be developed, per the Aug. 14 Planning and Zoning Commission vote, but the developers will be forced to restart their planning process if the request is not approved by City Council. If City Council rejects the developer’s request, the proposed development site, which is outside of city limits, will fall under county restriction plans.
Planning and Zoning Commission meets the second and fourth Tuesday of every month at 6:00 p.m. at 630 E. Hopkins St.