The college experience is not worth an addiction

Addiction is a very serious disease and is not to be toyed with. Its defenseless victims are forced to suffer throughout a long, treacherous and dark journey.

Photo Courtesy of Caroline Janes

Four short years at any university leaves college students with many unforgettable memories, cherished times and habits, both good and bad. Among the good, students gain necessities like time management and networking skills. The bad, however, can consist of irresponsibility, drug abuse or even worse — drug addiction. The bigger mistake occurs when the latter compounds with fulfilling the “college experience.”
The college experience, or “college life,” as portrayed in Hollywood, consists of endless partying, several sexual encounters and an excessive use of drugs. In reality, all of those things — if not done responsibly or in moderation — result in dangerous situations that can very easily jeopardize one’s future. Simply stated, temporary “fun” is never worth the risk.
Texas State student, Matthew Ellis, died following his fraternity initiation where he consumed a massive amount of alcohol. Although there were no reports of Ellis suffering from addiction, simply overdrinking cost him his life. He was only 20 years old.
University of Arkansas student, William Doerhoff, was a young man who did not begin using drugs until he entered a college fraternity. As a result of injecting and smoking prescription pills, “Will” suffered from addiction, which would ultimately cost him his life years later. He, too, was only 20 years old.
While the falsely portrayed college life may seem like a great time, the inevitable negative outcome is not. Drug abuse may lead to death. Drug addiction may lead to death. And if not, both possess the powerful ability to take a toll on one’s state of mind, making misuse very difficult to overcome.
AddictionCenter, a drug rehabilitation website, stated that “The temptation to drink is strong because college students overwhelmingly find that alcohol makes socializing easier.” Moreover, “Not all college students immediately start binge drinking and doing drugs, but routinely drinking to have more fun leads many students toward addiction.”
It is completely within reason that students wish to have a great time while attending college, but there is absolutely no reason to place one’s own life in jeopardy. Addiction is absolutely real. It is not picky when choosing its victims. It does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity or origin. It has one goal only and that is to ruin the well being of as many individuals as possible.
No version of the college experience is worth any of the negative outcomes that are associated with addiction. It is extremely important to seek extraordinary experiences upon entering college, but it is even more imperative to graduate a wholesome, healthy and well-rounded individual.
No amount of fun undermines the importance of being mentally healthy. College already places several difficulties on students. The weight of an addiction, which is what is being risked when abusing drugs, is not by any means going to make life easier.
College students are expected to have fun, but they are also expected to be responsible. College students are expected to meet new lifelong friends, but they are also expected to know the difference between right and wrong. College students are expected to step out of their comfort zones, but they are also expected to know their boundaries.
Every school year is supposed to bring new and exciting challenges, constant self-growth and unforgettable times with peers. That is the real college experience; the only risky experience worth a try.
– Jaden Edison is a electronic media sophomore