Texas State dominates day one of FAU Tournament

Graphic by Shayan Faradineh | Managing Editor

The Texas State softball team started off 2-0 at the Florida Atlantic University “Strike-Out Cancer” Tournament Friday, Feb. 23, in Boca Raton, Florida.
The Bobcats defeated Columbia 6-2 then won against Florida Atlantic University 9-4.
In the bottom of the first against the Owls, Florida Atlantic University’s leadoff hitter smoked a solo home run to right-center field, giving the host Owls a 1-0 lead on the Bobcats.
Two innings later, the Owls struck again, blasting another solo homer to right field to double Florida Atlantic University’s lead. Hailey MacKay, sophomore infielder, made a three-run shot leading into the fourth inning.
A pair of base runners were stranded as the Bobcats took the lead into the fifth inning.
Texas State put up another crooked number in the fifth inning, scoring six runs on seven hits. Mari Cranek, junior utility, started a string of five straight hits for the Bobcats with a bunt single.
Jaclyn Molenaar, senior outfielder, added an infield single while Sierra Steimel, senior utility, registered her third hit of the game to load the bases.
Christina McDowell, sophomore outfielder, singled through the right side. MacKay singled up the middle, plating her fourth and fifth RBIs of the game.
With two outs in the inning, Tara Oltmann, freshman infielder, tripled to score MacKay. Oltmann came around to score on an RBI single from Bailee Carter, sophomore infielder.
Florida Atlantic University got one back on an unearned run as the Bobcats headed to the sixth inning up by six.
In the sixth, a clean inning came from Rupp who had 10 strikeouts in the game.
Rupp went the distance for the Bobcats in her eighth completed game of the season. She collected 11 strikeouts while yielding five hits, two walks and three earned runs.
The Bobcats will continue in the FAU “Cancer Strike Out” Tournament Saturday, Feb. 24 at 8 a.m. as they face the Tulsa Golden Hurricane. In game two of the day, the Bobcats will compete against Dartmouth at 2:45 p.m.