Texas State beats Georgia Southern in 60-51 win

Graphic by Shayan Faradineh | Managing Editor

The Texas State Women’s basketball team earned its 20th win of the season with a 60-51 win against the Georgia Southern Eagles in a close matchup.
This victory gives the Bobcats a 20-8 overall record making this the sixth time in school history the Bobcats have reached the 20-win mark and the first time since the 2007-08 campaign.
After downing yet another conference rival, the Bobcats now have a 13-4 record in Sun Belt Conference play. Texas State is second in Sun Belt Conference rankings, trailing the Little Rock Trojans who boast a 15-1 Sun Belt Conference record.
Texas State jumped out early, taking control and holding the lead throughout the first quarter. The Bobcats closed the period with a 15-9 lead.
The second period mirrored the first as Texas State refused to let up on the Eagles, leading by as many as 14. Despite chipping away the lead, the Eagles trailed the Bobcats 27-17 at the end of the half.
Texas State held on to their lead throughout the third quarter, but not without resistance from Georgia Southern. The Eagles chipped away at the Bobcat’s lead, getting within two points. Despite the push from their opponent, Texas State closed the third with a 45-41 lead.
A three-pointer from Brooke Holle, sophomore guard, opened the fourth as Texas State continued to impose its will on Georgia Southern eventually putting away the Eagles for a the nine-point win.
Leading the Bobcats in scoring was Toshua Leavitt, junior guard, with 17-points, an assist and a block. Leavitt was one of four Bobcats who scored in double digits.
Second on the team in scoring was Taeler Deer, senior guard, with 14-points. Deer rounded out her game with five assists and three steals.
Next up for the Bobcats is the final game of the regular season, a matchup against the University of Texas at Arlington Mavericks at Strahan Coliseum March 3, at 2 p.m.