Texas State softball takes a pair of wins in day two of FAU “Strike-Out Cancer” Tournament

Graphic by Shayan Faradineh | Managing Editor

The Texas State softball team grabbed a pair of wins Saturday, Feb. 24, in the second day of the Florida Atlantic University “Strike out Cancer” Tournament at FAU Stadium. In the first game of the day, the Bobcats took down Tulsa University with a 6-1 score. In the second game, the team grabbed a 3-0 win against Dartmouth. The Bobcats improve to 4-0 in the tournament and 10-4 on the season with both wins.
In the early morning game against Tulsa, the Bobcats started out with a 3-0 start in the first inning as Hailey MacKay, sophomore infielder, hit a home run that scored herself and both base runners, Christiana McDowell, sophomore outfielder and Sierra Steimel, senior utility player.
Coming into the second inning, Tulsa struck back to lower the lead down to two, but the Bobcats offense did not let up as the third inning kicked off. The Bobcats scored two more runs in from Ariel Ortiz, senior infielder and Bailee Carter, sophomore infielder, to extend the lead by four.
Later in the sixth inning, Brianna Sannem, freshman infielder, would give the Bobcats their last run and help finish the game with a 6-1 score. The win improved the Bobcats to a 9-4 record on the season and gave them their third win of the tournament in two days.
In the second game of the day against Dartmouth, the Bobcats started out slow, but picked up their slack in the top of the sixth inning as Ortiz hit a double to left center that allowed McDowell to score.
Later in the top of the seventh inning, Haleigh Davis, sophomore catcher, popped out a double that scored Carter to give the Bobcats a 2-0 lead.
Two batters later, ArieAnn Bell, freshman outfielder, pinch hitter for Jaclyn Malenaar, senior outfielder, hit a single through the right side that allowed Bell to score and extend the Bobcats to 3-0.
The win improves the Bobcats to a 4-0 record in the tournament, and the team will compete in the final game of the tournament Sunday, Feb. 25 against Columbia.