Bobcats blowout Mountaineers 92-50

Graphic by Shayan Faradineh | Managing Editor

The Texas State Women’s basketball team scored its 16th win of the season, extending its current win streak to four games with a 92-50 blowout victory over the Appalachian State Mountaineers.
The 42-point blowout is the Bobcat’s eighth win of 20-plus points this season. Texas State is 16-7 on the season and 9-3 in Sun Belt Conference play behind only 11-0 Little Rock and 8-2 South Alabama.
Completing the sweep of the Mountaineers at Strahan Colosseum gives Texas State a home record of 8-2.
Leading the Bobcats in scoring once again was junior guard Toushua Leavitt with 19-points. The junior sharpshooter was one of four Bobcats with double digit points and had three assists and a steal. Leavitt was 5-13 on the afternoon bringing her total to 111 on the season.
Behind Leavitt, senior guard Taeler Deer was close to posting another double-double, notching up 16-points, eight assists and four steals in 31 minutes.
Senior Forwards Ti’Aira Pitts and Ericka May followed Leavitt and Deer. Pitts scored 15-points, an assist and one steal in 22 minutes, May contributed 12-points, one assist, two blocks and a steal.
Appalachian State scored the first points of the game before the Bobcats took control, closing the first quarter with an 11-point lead.
Texas state held onto their momentum in the second quarter, widening the gap against the Mountaineers and entering the half up by 22-points.
The second half of play saw more of the same as the Bobcats continued to roll over Appalachian State, Texas State closed out the third with a commanding 36-point lead. In the first three quarters of play, Texas State held the mountaineers to 10-47 from FG range.
Not letting up in the fourth, the Bobcats continued to score at will, finishing the afternoon with a 42-point blowout win.
Next up for Texas State is a Sun Belt Conference matchup against UTA, Saturday Feb. 10, at 2 p.m. at College Park Center in Arlington.