Drag Out Funny benefits LGBT students

Stonewall Warehouse hosts Drag Out Funny show, A Space Oddity, to raise money for the Bobcat Pride Scholarship Fund. Photo by Alyssa Weinstein | Lifestyle Reporter

If you were to stumble upon Stonewall Warehouse this past Saturday night, you would find a club immersed in far out intergalactic drag queens and out-of-this world entertainment celebrating the San Marcos LGBT community.

On Feb. 17, Stonewall Warehouse hosted Bobcat Pride Scholarship Fund’s 7th annual Drag Out Funny, A Space Oddity show.
With a silent auction, ticket sales and bucket raffle, the Drag Out Funny show raises money for BPSF, a scholarship that provides leadership development, academic scholarships and emergency funding for LGBT Texas State students.
“I’m so glad they’re giving other students opportunities to be able to go to school and love their passions,” Lady Monet, Stonewall queen said. “That’s what San Marcos is, we’re a big community and we have big passions among all our students.”
“It’s a great opportunity for those of the LGBTQIA+ community to have a chance to be able to afford school,” Mocha Chocolata, Stonewall queen, said. “I even applied for this scholarship, so I hope I’m one of the recipients.”
Hosted by drag queen Chitah, performers of A Space Oddity included Mary Jane Styles, Cherry Hays, the Stonewall Riot Squad and even Texas State’s dance group, Kidz Nxt Door.
Throughout the night, Stonewall Queens and guest performers put on an eye-catching three hour show that included dancing, singing and comedy. Each performance included unique costumes, dramatic makeup, dance and song numbers that followed the space-age theme.
In all the Space Oddity entertainment, the goal of the night was to ensure that every student has the chance to receive an education and to follow their aspirations, regardless of their sexual orientation or financial status.
“So much of LGBT youth can get really disenfranchised and are not be able to reach they’re star potential,” Saffron Deelite, Stonewall queen said. “So I feel like this benefit and the money being raised is really amazing because a lot of youth don’t have opportunities. Just for me to see it happen and to be a part of it makes me feel very honored and flattered and I’m really happy to be a part of this amazing process.”
Last year’s Drag Out Funny show raised over $9,000 for the BPSF scholarship.
The BPSF offers three different scholarships for Texas State students: the academic scholarship, the leadership development scholarship, and the emergency stabilization fund.
The academic scholarship for the 2016-20117 school year offered Texas State students $3,000 for each the fall and spring semester as long as the student maintains a 3.0 GPA and engages in community involvement.
The leadership development scholarship provides full tuition to attend the national Camp Pride conference. This conference aspires to build leadership in the LGBTQIA community by bringing students from universities and college all over the nation to participate.
The emergency stabilization funds provide limited financial assistance for students who have been negatively affected financially due to their sexual and gender identities and any crises related to their identities.
For more information about the Bobcat Pride Scholarship Fund, or to donate, visit http://www.bobcatpridescholarship.com/