Bobcats earn 18th win of the season in ULM blowout

Graphic by Shayan Faradineh | Managing Editor

The Texas State women’s basketball team earned its 18th victory of the season Saturday, Feb. 17, with an 81-45 blowout win against the University of Louisiana Monroe Warhawks
This is Texas State’s eighth win by 20 or more points this season, giving the Bobcats an overall record of 18-8.
Another victory against a Sun Belt Conference rival gives the Bobcats a conference record of 11-4. Despite having a superior overall record, Texas State sits in second place in the Sun Belt Conference standings, only behind the Little Rock Trojans who are 11-1 in conference play.
Saturday’s win is the first-time Texas State has won 18 games in season under head coach Zenarae Antoine and the first 18-win season since 2007.
The game got off to a back-and-forth start as both teams traded blows early in the first period, before Texas State began to take control. Texas State closed out the first with a double-digit 29-18 lead.
The second quarter of play saw the Bobcats dominate, leading by as many as 19-points in the period before going into halftime with an 18-point lead.
During the first half of play the Bobcats were powered by Ti’Aria Pitts, senior forward. Pitts scored 19-points on the evening, with 15 of her 19 coming in the first half alone. The senior forward also notched four blocks and a steal in her 24 minutes on the court.
The second half told a tale like the first as the Bobcats continued to impose their will over ULM, closing the third period up 23 over the Warhawks. Using the fourth quarter to extend their lead further, the Bobcats closed the game up by 36-points.
Leading the squad in scoring, Taeler Deer, senior forward, put up 22-points, eight assists, a block and three steals in 36-minutes.
Trailing Deer by one point, Brooke Holle, sophomore guard, had 21-points on the afternoon, rounding out her game with an assist and a block in 34-minutes.
Missing from action for Saturday’s game was Toshua Leavitt, junior guard. Starting in her place was Bailey Holle, before Holle herself was injured and unable to return.  Zelor Massaquoi, guard, picked up the slack contributing eight points, an assist and a steal in 18-minutes.
Next up for the Bobcats is a showdown against the Georgia State Panthers, Feb. 22, in Strahan Coliseum at 12 p.m.