Women’s basketball heads to San Antonio to face UIW

Texas State sophomore guard Kennedy Taylor, (22), dribbles a basketball around UTA sophomore guard Katie Ferrell in a matchup between the two teams, Saturday, Feb. 1, 2020, at Strahan Arena.

Texas State women’s basketball (1-1) will travel to San Antonio to face off against the University of the Incarnate Word Cardinals (2-2) on Dec. 9.
The last time the Bobcats and Cardinals played each other was on Nov. 15, 2017, when the Bobcats won in a 74-33 blowout.
In its last game, Texas State got its first win of the season on Dec. 3 against Southern Methodist University. Junior guard Kennedy Taylor hit a jump shot with 11 seconds left in the fourth quarter to tie the game at 66-66 and send the game into overtime. The Bobcats went on to win 74-70 in overtime.
Junior forward Da’Nasia Hood continued to lead her team with game-highs in points (25) and rebounds (9). Hood shot 40% (8-20, 2-6 three-pointers) from the field and 77.7% (7-9) from the free-throw line. Taylor continued her strong start to the season, scoring 13 points (5-10, 1-4 three-pointers) shooting to go with four assists and four rebounds.
For the game, the Bobcats shot 45% (27-60, 5-15 three-pointers) from the field and 60% (15-25) from the free-throw line.
Through two games Hood is averaging a double-double and leads the team in scoring (20.5) and rebounds (10.5). Second on the team in points per game is Taylor with 12, followed by senior guard Avionne Alexander and junior guard Ja’Kayla Bowie with 11.5 each. Taylor and Alexander are also tied for second in rebounds per game with five apiece.
After losing its first two games, UIW is currently on a two-game win streak bringing its season record to 2-2. Most recently, the Cardinals defeated the Sul Ross State University Lobos 75-71.
Against the Lobos, freshman guard Jaaucklyn Moore helped lead the Cardinals to the win with 15 points (6-13, 3-5 three-pointers), three rebounds and three assists. Junior forward Starr Omozee led the team in rebounds (7) and assists (4) to go along with 10 points (3-8, 4-4 free throws).
The Cardinals ended the game shooting 37.5% (27-72, 7-26 three-pointers) from the field and 66.7% (14-21) from the free-throw line.
For the season, UIW’s top scorers are Starr (11.8), Moore (11) and junior guard Arielle Adams (8). Starr is also the leader on the boards (5.8), followed by senior guard Kara Speer (5.5) and freshman guard Destiny Terrell (4).
The Bobcats will play UIW at 7 p.m. on Dec. 9 at the Alice P. Dermott Convocation Center in San Antonio, Texas.