Women’s basketball to continue road trip against SMU

Boko the Texas State mascot jokingly plays the drums with the Texas State band while cheering on the women’s basketball team, Saturday, Feb. 29, 2020, at Strahan Coliseum.

Texas State women’s basketball (0-1) will play the Southern Methodist University Mustangs (0-1) in the second of five straight road games for the Bobcats on Dec. 3 in Dallas, Texas.
Last time out, the Bobcats played the University of New Orleans, losing 67-64 in their first game of the season. Texas State ended the game shooting 29.7% (19-64) from the field and 75% (21-28) from the free throw line.
Sophomore forward Da’Nasia Hood led the Bobcats with her fourth collegiate double-double, scoring 16 points (5-14, 2-7 three-pointers) and 12 rebounds. Senior guard Avionne Alexander was the second-leading scorer with 12 points (5-7) as well as four steals. Junior guard Kennedy Taylor (2-9, 2-3 three-pointers) and junior guard Ja’Kayla Bowie (3-10, 1-4 three-pointers) each had 11 points. Taylor also had six steals, six rebounds and four assists.
In SMU’s first game of the season, it lost 90-51 to the University of Texas. The Mustangs shot 37% (20-54) on field goals, 53.8% (7-13) on free throws and 36.3% (4-11) of their three-point shots.
The leading scorers for SMU were junior guard Amber Bacon with 13 points (5-12, 1-2 three-pointers) and sophomore guard Desirae Mathis with seven points (2-5, 2-2 three-pointers).
SMU is 6-2 all-time against Texas State, including four home wins against the Bobcats. The Mustangs have won six of the last seven meetings.
This will be the first time Texas State and SMU have faced off since Nov. 11, 2016, when the Mustangs won 64-56.
The Bobcats’ last victory against SMU was on Feb. 21, 1992, where they won 71-55.
Tip-off is at 7 p.m. at the Moody Coliseum. The game can be streamed through ESPN+.