City of San Marcos implements “Month of Service” initiative to honor veterans

City of San Marcos members wrap a yellow ribbon around a tree in support of Veterans Day. This year, the City of San Marcos will host “Month of Service”, a series of community service opportunities aimed to honor veterans in replacement of the annual Veterans Day Parade.

In partnership with the Veterans Affairs Advisory Committee and other local veterans’ organizations, the City of San Marcos will host “Month of Service“, a series of community activities aimed to admire those who have served. 
These service opportunities will occur in replacement of the annual Veterans Day Parade. A different service activity will be promoted each week throughout November. 
“Month of Service” will begin Nov. 1-7 with the “Honor a Veteran” service opportunity. Individuals can participate by sending a photo of a veteran they wish to honor to [email protected]. The photos will be shared on the SMTX Community Services Facebook page. 
“Donate to Wreath’s Across America” week, Nov. 8-14, will provide an opportunity for the public to contribute donations that will go toward placing holiday wreaths on veteran gravesites in the City of San Marcos Cemetery. 
Between Nov. 15-21, community members can participate in the “Write a letter” activity where they can write a letter to a veteran living in a Texas State Veteran Home. 
The final activity “Donate to the Hays County Food Bank” will run Nov. 22-30. The Hays County Food Bank, the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post #3413 and the Hays County Veterans Service Office will host a food distribution. Participants are encouraged to include a note that the food is for the veterans food assistance distribution when dropping off items. 
Community members can also participate by decorating their homes, vehicles and/or place of business with flags, yellow ribbons and other patriotic items throughout November. 
For more information about the “Month of Service” initiative, visit the City of San Marcos website.