Men’s basketball takes the road to face Little Rock

Texas State graduate guard Marlin Davis (5) guards Our Lady of the Lake senior guard Ethan White (24) as he dribbles down the court, Saturday, Dec. 12, 2020, at Strahan Arena. The Bobcats lost 61-58.

After the postponement of its doubleheader against Arkansas State, Texas State men’s basketball (7-4 overall, 1-1 Sun Belt) will be back on the road to face the University of Arkansas at Little Rock Trojans (7-4, 3-1 Sun Belt) on Jan. 15-16.
Texas State has a 7-9 all-time record against Little Rock, but the Bobcats have won five of the last six matchups. In their last meeting on Feb. 13, 2020, the Bobcats beat the Trojans 74-66. Then sophomore now junior forward Alonzo Sule led both teams with a career-high 26 points along with 10 rebounds.
The Bobcats’ junior guard Mason Harrell leads the team with 13.4 points per game and is tied for No. 2 in the Sun Belt in minutes per game (34.5). Senior forward Isiah Small is tied for No. 4 in the conference in blocks per game (1.5) and No. 10 in rebounds per game. Graduate guard Marlin Davis is No. 4 in assists per game (4.6) and tied for No. 9 in steals per game (1.7).
A rising star for the Bobcats is junior guard Caleb Asberry. In his five starts this season, Asberry has averaged 17.4 points per game on 57.8% (33-57) from the field and 45.8% (11-24) from deep along with 1.6 steals per game in that span.
Little Rock has four players who average double-digit points per game: Junior guard Markquis Nowell (15.1), junior forward Nikola Maric (15), senior forward Ruot Monyyong (13.6), senior guard Ben Coupet Jr. (10.1).
In the Sun Belt, Nowell ranks No. 1 in assists per game (7.7), No. 3 in steals (2.6) and No. 7 in points per game. Maric is No. 2 in the conference in field goal percentage (59.5%) and No. 8 in points per game. Monyyong ranks No. 5 in rebounds per game (10.4) and is tied for No. 4 in blocks per game (1.5).
Due to concerns with COVID-19 protocols, the Bobcats haven’t played since Jan. 2 where they beat the University of Louisiana at Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns 71-59.
Despite the game being tied 24-24 at halftime, the Bobcats were firing on all cylinders shooting an astounding 75% (18-24) in the second half and 60% (27-45) in the contest.
Small led the ‘Cats with 18 points on a near-perfect 88.8% (8-9, 1-1 three-pointers) from the floor, along with four rebounds. Asberry, who went 0-1 in the first half, found his legs late, scoring all of his 12 points in the second period. On the day Asberry shot 57.1% (4-7) overall and 50% (2-4) from deep with four assists.
The Trojans are coming off a 78-76 overtime victory against the Ragin’ Cajuns. Despite being down 42-32 at halftime, the matchup proved to be a back-and-forth affair with 19 lead changes.
In the game, the Trojans shot 42.9% (27-63) from the field but struggled from the three-point line, going 0-9 in the first half and shooting 12.5% (2-16) for the contest.
Monyyong’s performance was a strong point for the Trojans as he grabbed his sixth double-double of the season with 19 points (5-10, 9-11 free throws) and 16 rebounds (six offensive).
Texas State will face Little Rock at 6:30 p.m. on Jan. 15 and 4 p.m. on Jan. 16 at the Jack Stephens Center in Little Rock, Arkansas. Both games will be streamed on ESPN+.