Men’s basketball defeated on the road by Houston Baptist

Bobcats get the game going against the Roadrunners with the tip-off Nov. 15.

Photo by Josh Mends | Staff photographer

The Texas State men’s basketball team fell short 71-52 to the Houston Baptist University Huskies in an away game Dec. 2 in Houston, Texas.
The Bobcats went into the game coming off a win last week against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, however, the Bobcats could not finish what would have been the third consecutive win for them.
Texas State was only trailing behind Houston Baptist by eight by the end of the first half when the score was 38-30.
However, in the second half of the game, the Bobcats only scored 20 points compared to the Huskies’ 33 points.
Sophomore guard Nijal Pearson saw double digits in the game as he led the Bobcats with 16 points. Pearson went 6-19 for field goals, 3-7 for free throws and 1-5 for three pointers. Pearson also had one assist, one steal and played 35 minutes.
As a team, Texas State had a 30.5 field goal percentage and went 73.7 percent in free throws. The Bobcats only went 2-20 in three pointers.
Losing against the Huskies, the Bobcats scored 12 points off turnovers and 20 off their 52 points in the paint.
Following Pearson, sophomore guard Marlin Davis had the second highest points of the night with eight—almost reaching double digits. Davis went 4-7 in field goals with no free throw attempts. Davis also had one assist and one steal like Pearson and played 30 minutes of the game.
Saturday’s game put their overall record at 4-4. After being away, Texas State is back home for their next game against McMurry. The game takes place Dec. 6 at the Strahan Coliseum with tip off at 7 p.m.