Texas State announces list of Homecoming events

Texas State’s Bobcat Stadium.

Texas State will continue its longstanding tradition of Homecoming celebrations this year with a series of activities and competitions.
in addition to the football Homecoming game, there will be activities the week before the game, starting on Oct. 27 with a spirit flag decorating contest.
Esha Mohammed, pride and traditions coordinator at the Student Association for Campus Activities, said SACA has been preparing for the week of festivities since June. She said Homecoming Week is to encourage pride in the students.
“Everything that we do leads up to the game, but we really wanted to market Homecoming Week as a whole because of the festivities going on,” Mohammed said. “We really just want people to engage in the university.”
On Oct. 28, there will be a 4 on 4 coed volleyball tournament. Previously, a powderpuff football game and 3 on 3 basketball competition were held, but this year the tournament will allow students to compete in something different.
A carnival and spirit rally will be hosted Oct. 30 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the LBJSC mall and the surrounding area. There will be free events, games and food. Prizes will also be handed out, including T-shirts, stadium cups, waterproof phone cases and more.
The spirit rally will take place on the same day as the carnival at 12 p.m. where the cheer team, marching band and Boko will teach students the Texas State chants and increase the excitement for the game according to Maria Galindo, pride and traditions coordinator at SACA.
“A lot of people only hear about the game, but we want to make sure they know there’s events all week long,” Galindo said. “The carnival is a fun time for students to come out and enjoy themselves.”
There will also be a talent show featuring 10 Texas State students on Nov. 1 and a large attendance is expected according to Coordinator for Student Activities Sylvia Reyes.
The top four kings and queens will be announced at the show, along with the other royalty. Voting will run online through Oct. 25.
The longest Homecoming tradition at Texas State, the Soap Box Derby, will be celebrating its 50th anniversary on Nov. 2. Reyes said the event helps showcase the university’s uniqueness.
“Homecoming, in general, builds a sense of community for the campus,” Reyes said. “It’s a chance for current students, staff and alumni to come together, and to bond and make new memories, while meeting new people.”
The day of the game there will be a 5K race hosted by Pro-Rec, the tailgate and Homecoming halftime where the king and queen will be crowned by last year’s royalty.
“Academics is a huge part of this university, but it’s not the only part,” Mohammed said. “Take some time to be prideful of the events (on) this campus. Homecoming week is really about bringing everyone together and participating.”
Galindo said Homecoming is for students and faculty to display their pride, while alumni are able to come back and remember their time at Texas State.
“It’s one big week of events to celebrate the student body and embrace their different talents,” Galindo said. “It’s exciting to build the community and have everyone become a part of the Bobcat family.”