Bobcats up to a nine-game win streak after sweeping Georgia State

Bobcats celebrate a score against UT Arlington on Oct. 13.

Photo by Ricardo Martin | Staff Photographer

For the second time in two nights the Bobcats were able to roll to a win against a Sun Belt opponent, dismantling the Georgia State Panthers in three sets (25-10, 25-17, 25-8) to cruise to their ninth straight victory.
The Bobcats improve their conference record to 8-1 going into the second half of the season.
The first set, the Bobcats rolled into the match taking advantage of a Georgia State team that looked powerless against junior Madison Daigle and senior Jaliyah Bolden who lead the Bobcats in kills and aces.
The Bobcats were able to go on a 10-1 run that put the game out of reach for the Panthers, who struggled to start the game. However, they were able to get a little more rhythm towards the end of the set.
The second set showed more competitiveness from the Panthers battling back to tie the set up early, but ultimately falling behind after the Bobcats went on a run with seven unanswered points. The Bobcats were up 12-7, a lead the team would be able to hold for rest of the set.
Sophomore Amy Pflughaupt was one of the Bobcats that was able to stand out holding down the net and forcing the Panthers to commit errors.
The match winning set was the most dominating performance by the Bobcats, with Texas State starting the set off strong.
The team finished going on a 14-2 scoring drive that secured the win for Bobcats with Daigle, Bolden and Pflughaupt all coming up big again for the Bobcats.
With the win, the Bobcats kept their winning streak alive and the momentum moving toward the Sun Belt Conference Championship.
“We’re on a roll, the kids were very, very, focused and we took care of business tonight,” Head coach Karen Chisum said. “We never gave Georgia State an opportunity to be in the match.”
The Bobcats play their next match Oct. 26 against the University of Louisiana – Monroe in Monroe, Louisiana.