The final season for a softball star

Randi Rupp, senior right-handed pitcher, winds up the pitch during a past game against Troy.

Photo courtesy of Texas State Athletics

After having three successful years on the Texas State softball team, a returning veteran is back to accomplish even more for her last and final year as a Bobcat.
Randi Rupp, senior right-handed pitcher, has been one of the biggest faces of the Texas State softball program since coming here in 2014 after high school.
As a freshman, Rupp was determined to dedicate herself to softball and did so right away.
By the end of the 2015 spring season, Rupp finished her first year as a Bobcat with 293 strikeouts and started in 39 games. She also earned a spot in the 2015 First Team All-Sun Belt Conference and the NFCA Second Team All-Region selection.
Rupp was off to a good start and only improved from there.
“I couldn’t have asked for a better position to be put in my freshman year,” Rupp said. “I wouldn’t want anything less because I got to learn and experience a lot of stuff as a freshman that I truly believe has gotten me to where I am today. I think that was a good spot for me to be put into and work.”
After her freshman year and learning more about the softball program, Rupp strived to be the best and returned to each new season better than the last.
The next two years of her collegiate softball career was full of accomplishments, appearances, records and becoming the face of the softball program.
Rupp went from Second Team All-Sun Belt Conference to First Team All-Sun Belt Conference, was named the 2017 Sun Belt Conference Pitcher of the Year, and was ESPNW National Player of the Week and is a nine-time Sun Belt Conference Pitcher of the Week.
“My greatest accomplishment is definitely an All-American last year,” Rupp said. “That was one of my big goals to get an All-American, and so for me to get that last year was probably one of my biggest accomplishments since I’ve been here.”
While fall ball is in full swing, the spring season is what the softball team looks forward to. Rupp enters her last season having pitched 779 career innings with 82 career wins and 953 career strikeouts—both ranking second on the all-time list.
Although her resume of success has been rapidly growing ever since she stepped on the Bobcat softball field, Rupp still looks for what she can improve on heading into the 2018 season.
“One goal would definitely be to at least take two out of ULM,” Rupp said. “Another goal is to just keep growing as an individual. My goal was to get 1,000 strikeouts whenever I first sat down with the coaches my freshman year, so I plan to go as far as I can with that.”
Along with having goals for her statistical record, Rupp wants to focus on the mental aspect of the game and how she can be the best role model for the team as a whole.
“This is my last season here at Texas State and I want to give it my all and see how far and where that takes us as a team,” Rupp said. “There’s a special group of seniors here, and four of us have been doing this together for four years now. I think for us just to continue to put in the work and just relaying that to the underclassmen, it’s going to take us a long way.”
Each year, Rupp has earned titles and awards, but she has also gained more knowledge of the game and life outside of the field.
“I’ve learned to just go after whatever it may be and to work hard and put in everything you have,” Rupp said. “It’s going to pay off and I think these last couple of years it’s really just shown if you put in everything you have and never back off, the sky’s the limit.”
As Rupp reflected back on her time playing softball at Texas State, she credited a lot of her success to the people who have been there with her since day one.
“Coach Osterman no doubt is behind me every step of the way, as well as my sister,” Rupp said. “My sister does a great job at taking my fame and motivating her a little bit. She’s probably my biggest supporter but as well as my parents. My parents come and travel all over just to watch us play, so I definitely couldn’t do it without my parents, my sisters and of course Coach Osterman.”
While she is not quite done playing as a Bobcat, Rupp takes each day at a time. She also looks forward to an unpredictable but exciting future after college.
“I have no idea what I want to do job wise, so I plan to see how far softball will take me,” Rupp said. “I definitely want to stay around the game, so if I get the opportunity to play in the NPF that’s something I would love to do. I’m not ready to leave the game.”
Rupp will step on the mound for her last season come spring, and she plans not to leave Texas State without giving it her all and leaving a lasting impact—on her fans and the teammates she will leave behind.
“I want people to remember that I put in a lot of work that most people don’t realize,” Rupp said. “I do whatever it takes, whether it’s staying after practice, doing stuff on off days and just putting in as much as I can to this program.”
Although she will graduate and leave Texas State, she never wants her legacy to be forgotten.
“I would like to leave a legacy here that hard work gets you a long way,” Rupp said. “Never stop chasing your dreams. You can never be satisfied and I want people to notice me as a hard worker and a leader who’s just really passionate about the game.”