Women’s basketball lose first game of the season against TCU

Taeler Deer, senior guard, stands near the three-point line in a past game against Texas A&M- Corpus Christi.

Photo Courtesy of Bill Spiller

The Texas State women’s basketball team lost its first game of the season Nov. 18 inside the Ed & Rae Schollmaier Arena against the TCU Horned Frogs 82-58.
The Horned Frogs led the Bobcats throughout the game, with their highest lead in the fourth quarter with 27 points.
Senior Ericka May led in double digits with 10 points. Senior guard Taeler Deer was the second leading scorer for the Bobcats with nine points, but it took a 16-shot night to earn her points on the scoreboard.
In the first half, the Bobcats only shot 32 percent from the field goal and 21 percent from the three-point line, both season lows for the Bobcats this season.
They finished the first half with a total of 29 points, six assists, four steals, but also six turnovers. The Horned Frogs scored 36 points in the first half with the Bobcats trailing by seven at halftime.
In the second half, the Bobcats could not improve on their first half, however, the difference was the Horned Frogs came back in the second half.
TCU scored a total of 46 points in the second half and recorded 16 assists, four blocks and six steals. The Bobcats did not earn one block in the game which showed on their defensive side.
The Bobcats had a total of 10 points in the paint compared to the Horned Frogs’ 48 points.
The Horned Frogs also beat the Bobcats in fast breakpoints, bench points and points off turnovers. The only thing the Bobcats led in all night was second chance points with 11 to the Horned Frogs’ nine.
The Bobcats’ next game will in Houston at 6 p.m. Nov. 21 against Texas Southern University.