Men’s basketball goes 2-1 at Men Against Breast Cancer Showcase

Bobcats get the game going against the Roadrunners with the tip-off Nov. 15.

Photo by Josh Mends | Staff photographer

The Thanksgiving break brought the Texas State men’s basketball team to Stockton, California to compete in the Men Against Breast Cancer Showcase Nov. 22-25.
The Bobcats were scheduled games Nov. 22-25, playing Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Canisius and Pacific—beating both Arkansas-Pine Bluff and Pacific.
In the game against Arkansas-Pine Bluff, the Bobcats defeated their opponents 71-54. The Bobcats had an overall field goal percentage of 49.0 with a 65.0 percent free throw shooting. It was senior guard Tyler Blount and senior forward Immanuel King who led the team—Blount with 16 points and King with 14.
Texas State lost 68-62 in a close game against Canisius Nov. 24, and its field goal percentage decreased to 40.0 percent. However, the team’s free throw shooting percentage made a slight increase to 69.6 percent.
It was sophomore guard Nijal Pearson who led the team in this game with 17 points and went 2-2 in his free throws.
After the close loss against Canisius, the Bobcats came back for Saturday’s game and defeated Pacific 85-78 to close out the Men Against Breast Cancer Showcase.
In the game against Pacific, the Bobcats showed improvements in all categories of their game. Their field goal percentage reached a high of 61.7 percent while their free throw shooting percentage was the highest of all three games at 85.0 percent. The Bobcats also shot 62.5 percent of three-point shots.
It was Pearson again in the game against Pacific where he led the team and also had the highest total points of all three games. Pearson had 23 points and also went 9-14 in field goals.
The Bobcats finished the showcase 2-1, and now have an overall record of 3-3. The Bobcats will travel back home for their next matchup to compete against Texas A&M Corpus Christi Nov. 29 at Strahan Coliseum. Tip-off will begin at 7 p.m.