Baseball falls short in the last inning to lose 6-5

Photo by: Lesly De Leon | Staff Photographer

Dylan Paul, catcher/infield, at the March 25 game against South Alabama.

The Texas State baseball team played game-one in their three-game home series against the University of Louisiana Monroe Thursday and lost in the last inning 6-5.
The Bobcats dropped to 20-15 overall and are 7-6 in the Sun Belt Conference.
In the first inning, the Bobcats scored a run and were in the lead 1-0. However, the Warhawks came back in the second inning scoring a run—tying the game 1-1.
It was in the bottom of the fifth inning where the Bobcats scored another run, and Texas State was in the lead again 2-1.
In the next inning, the Bobcats extended their lead with sophomore third baseman Jaylen Hubbard hitting a home run. This was Hubbard’s first home run of the season and his second career home run. Texas State was in the lead 4-1 by the end of the sixth inning.
In the top of the ninth inning, the Warhawks came back and scored five runs in the top of the ninth inning, and while the Bobcats did score one more run, they fell short to UL Monroe 6-5 in the last inning of the game.
“This burns, this one stings,” Head baseball coach Ty Harrington said. “You got a victory right in front of you and it gets away from you.”
Throughout the game, Texas State only made one pitching change. Sophomore right handed pitcher Connor Reich pitched most of the game for a total of 8.1 innings.
Reich had a total of six hits, one run and four strikeouts. Sophomore right handed pitcher Brayden Theriot replaced Reich at the mound in the eighth inning.
The Bobcats will play against the Warhawks in the second game of the home series April 14 at 6 p.m. at Bobcat Ballpark.