City Council limits city campaign budgets and approves upcoming fiscal budget

File+photo

File photo

City Council voted Sept. 4 to set campaign contribution limits for mayoral or City Council candidates, change the tax rate of real property, and approve the budget for the upcoming fiscal year.
The council set a $500 limit on the amount individuals can contribute toward a mayoral or City Council candidate’s campaign. The motion passed 5-2 with Mayor John Thomaides against it, citing no limit exists for how much an individual can contribute to their own campaign.
City Council also held the final of two public hearings Sept. 4 for ordinance 2018-25, which sets the tax rate for the 2018 year at 61.39 cents on each $100 of taxable value of real property that is not exempt from taxation. The final consideration of the ordinance will be on Sept. 18.
The city currently has a balanced budget that meets requirements with $227,000,000 in revenue and $229,000,000 in expenditure revenues. The council approved a motion to adopt a budget of $229,369,259 for the fiscal year beginning on Oct. 1.
City Council meets at 6:00 p.m. on the first and third Tuesday of every month at City Hall, 630 E. Hopkins St.