Portable meth lab found at abandoned Burger King

San Marcos police responded to a call about a suspicious person behind an abandoned building on Sunday afternoon, leading to a discovery of a portable methamphetamine lab.
Upon SMPD’s arrival at the abandoned Burger King at 1011 N IH-35, officers found a transient camp, where a backpack was filled with several containers with acidic powder.
One of the officers made contact with the powder, which burned the officer’s skin. The officer was treated by paramedics and released for the burn.
Shortly after, detectives arrived on scene and identified the items in the bag as part of a portable methamphetamine lab. The San Marcos Fire Department Hazmat Unit, the Fire Marshal’s Office and Hays County Narcotics Task Force were called to the scene to dismantle and dispose of the portable lab.
Police have not identified anyone connected to the lab, and no arrests were made. Officers found two people behind the business while responding to the initial suspicious person call and asked them to leave. The area was cleared and declared safe at 10 p.m.
Suspicious activity can be reported to the San Marcos Police Department at 512. 753.2108.