Men’s basketball looks to defend home court against Our Lady of the Lake

Texas State graduate guard Marlin Davis (5) dribbles along the baseline against the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, Wednesday, Nov. 25, 2020, at Strahan Arena. The Bobcats won 98-59.

Texas State men’s basketball (3-2) will take on Our Lady of the Lake (0-3) in another pre-conference matchup Dec. 12 in San Marcos.
Awaiting the start of the Sun Belt Conference’s regular season, the Bobcats sit in third place of the West Division of the conference behind both Louisiana (3-1) and Little Rock (3-2). 
This will be the first matchup in over a decade between the Bobcats and Saints. The first and only contest was on Nov. 24, 2010, where OLLU won 127-126. Texas State now looks to even the record.
The Maroon and Gold is averaging 69.8 points per game on 45% shooting, along with 35.4 rebounds and 12.6 assists per game. The Bobcats also average 12.4 turnovers per game and will likely look to reduce that number as the season continues.
This game will be a great opportunity for Texas State to improve its defensive efficiency. The Bobcats have been forcing 14.7 turnovers per game (3.4 turnover-margin) and averaging 7.4 steals and 4.2 blocks per game.
Leading Texas State in scoring is junior point guard Mason Harrell who is averaging 14.4 points per game (46.6%, 57.1% three-point). Following Harrell, scoring is distributed fairly evenly between senior guard Shelby Adams (9.4), junior forward Alonzo Sule (8.6) and junior guard Caleb Asberry (7.8, 50% three-pointers).
Senior forward Isiah Small leads Texas State in rebounding (6.6) and total blocks (9). Leading in assists is graduate guard Marlin Davis with 3.4 a game.
OLLU has averaged 67.7 points, collected 30.3 rebounds and dished out 10.3 assists per game over the course of three contests. The Saints have struggled defensively, giving up an average of 92.6 points and a field-goal percentage of 51.5%.
Leading Our Lady of the Lake in scoring at 10.3 points per game is both senior forward Jordan Embry (57.9% field-goals) and junior forward Ruben Monzon (43.3% field-goals). Following closely behind the two forwards in scoring is sophomore guard Quenton Coleman who averages 10 points per game and senior guard Ethan White (9.3 points per game, 55% field goal).
Looking at the head-to-head stats between Texas State and Our Lady of the Lake, the Bobcats lead in points, assists, rebounds, and turnover margin (-3.4) averages per game. According to ESPN, Texas State has a 96.5% chance to win.
From a personnel standpoint, the two teams are similar in size with the exception of Texas State’s starting point guard Harrell (5’9″) and OLLU senior point guard Darin Minniefield (6’2″).
The Bobcats are coming off a hard-fought match Dec. 9 against the No. 13 ranked UT Austin when they lost 74-53. The Maroon and Gold struggled to shoot (36.1%, 22-61 field goals) and handle the ball (16 turnovers) against a much larger Texas roster.
Our Lady of the Lake had a rough go in its last outing, losing 91-68 against UT Rio Grande Valley Dec. 4. The Saints also struggled to shoot (34.7%, 26-75 field goals) and handle the ball (13 turnovers). OLLU jumped out to an early 17-7 lead but lost the lead midway through the first half leading to the loss.
The Bobcats will tip-off at 4 p.m. in Strahan Arena. The game will be broadcast on ESPN+.