San Marcos police officer shot

Flags fly at half staff Dec. 6 as businesses on the square illuminate with blue lights in respect to the fallen officer.

Photo by Victor Rodriguez | Assistant Multimedia Editor

Update: Funeral arrangements have been made at the Thomason Funeral Home. The public is welcome to Officer Copeland’s visitation, from 2-10 p.m Dec. 12.
The funeral services will be held at 11 a.m Dec. 13 at the Community Bible Church with internment ceremonies immediately following on the church grounds.
A candle light vigil will be held at the Hays County Courthouse at 6:30 p.m. Dec. 7. Candles will be provided.
According to a press release sent by the city, “Police are not recommending any GoFundMe or other donation accounts at this time due the difficulty in verifying the authenticity of these sites.”
Instead, prospective donors to the Copeland family can donate at the following site and in the following ways:
Direct donations to the family should be made payable to the San Marcos Citizen’s Police Academy Alumni Association. Cash and checks can be dropped off or mailed to the San Marcos Police Department with “Ken Copeland,” written in the check’s memo line.
Donations in honor of Ken Copeland should be made payable to the San Marcos Police Department, cash or check donations can be dropped off or mailed to SMPD. “Copeland Blue Santa,” should be written in the memo line of the check.
The 100 Club of Central Texas will also be accepting donations to honor Officer Copeland. Donors can reach this site at this link.

Update: Hays County District Attorney’s office released an arrest warrant for Stewart Mettz for the murder of San Marcos Police Officer Kenneth Copeland

Update: An arrest warrant has been issued for the Stewart Thomas Mettz, 51, the man believed to have shot and killed Officer Copeland Dec. 4.
Mettz is named on the arrest warrant but has yet to be charged with the death of Copeland.
Officer Copeland and San Marcos Police officers were serving the original arrest warrant on Mettz at his home in the El Camino real subdivision.
Mettz is currently arrested and hospitalized with a gunshot wound following a standoff with San Marcos/ Hays County SWAT.

Update: The first San Marcos police officer was killed in the line of duty on Dec. 4. The suspect is in custody and was treated for gunshot wounds sustained during the altercation.
At approximately 2:23 p.m., Officer Kenneth Copeland, 58, and other San Marcos Police Department officers went to serve an arrest warrant at the El Camino Real subdivision, about five miles from campus. The suspect opened fire and hit Officer Copeland multiple times.
Officer Copeland was rushed to Central Texas Medical Center after the altercation and was pronounced dead at 3:50 p.m. by Justice of the Peace Joann Prado. The suspect suffered a gunshot wound after his standoff with San Marcos/Hays County SWAT. SMPD is unable to determine whether the suspect shot himself or if the shot was from a SMPD officer.
“Ken was a hero,” said SMPD Police Chief Chase Stapp during a press conference. “Today was his day off. He worked just about every day off.”
San Marcos officials, including the city manager and mayor, offered their support to the police department at the press conference.
“I ask that all of our citizens show support for the men and women in our public safety divisions,” Mayor John Thomaides said.
Gov. Greg Abbott released the following statement:
“Today we grieve for the family of the fallen San Marcos police officer, and we vow swift justice for the killer,” Abbott stated. “The men and women in law enforcement put their lives on the line every day to protect and to serve our communities, and we will never forget their sacrifices. Cecilia and I extend our heartfelt condolences to the officer’s family and to the entire San Marcos Police Department.”
At the request of Mayor Thomaides, Gov. Abbott authorized the lowering of Texas flags in San Marcos to honor the law enforcement officer lost.

While serving a search warrant earlier this afternoon, Dec. 4, a San Marcos Police Officer was killed in the El Camino Real subdivision.
SMPD officers were serving a warrant when the suspect shot him multiple times. The officer was hit wearing a protective vest and was transported to Central Texas Medical Center.
Justice of the Peace Joann Prado pronounced the officer dead at 3:50 p.m. The officer’s name will be withheld pending notification of next of kin.
According to the press release from SMPD, the suspect is in custody following standoff with San Marcos/Hays County SWAT. The suspect was shot during the standoff and was transported to an Austin hospital.
There will be a press conference at SMPD headquarters at 6 p.m. Dec. 4

• San Marcos police officer shot

• San Marcos police officer shot

• Warrant information

• San Marcos police officer shot