Best Burger: Taproom

Best Burger: Taproom
Best Burger: Taproom

Taproom Pub and Grill has been in business since 1998, located at 129 E. Hopkins St. downtown on the San Marcos Square.
Owner and Texas State alumnus Travis Kelsey started the business right after graduating in 1997 with his master’s degree in biology. Kelsey said he enjoys living in San Marcos and is honored that his business has been recognized by the community year after year.
“It’s very humbling and prideful,” Kelsey said. “It really is just a testimony to my hardworking staff and the loyalty of our customers. Our staff, they make the experience. So, from the bartenders to the servers to the cooks, they’re the lifeblood of this business.”
In speaking about how he believes his local business stands out against other burger restaurants, Kelsey said he thinks the quality of products and the quality of his staff makes a difference.
“We produce the best quality product you can get,” Kelsey said. “You can’t buy our hamburger buns or our quality of meat. Everything’s fresh, never frozen. The vegetables and ingredients are cut up each day, and then of course we have really great cooks too.”
Criminal justice major Joshua Mitchener said he’s been one of Taproom’s loyal customers since his sophomore year, three years ago.
“Best burgers in town in my opinion,” Mitchener said. “It’s definitely a go-to spot for me. Love the feel, love the crowd. I go all the time with friends. You’re definitely getting better than what you pay for because the service is great and the food is awesome.”
Kelsey said he has enjoyed seeing the San Marcos community grow as Texas State grows over the years he’s been in business.
“I just love San Marcos,” Kelsey said. “I’ve raised my family here. I’m involved in a lot of city government. It’s just a great town and a great university. It’s still just the last little gem found on I-35.”
Many local town restaurants have been negatively affected as they have been shut down since March 17 due to the coronavirus outbreak. Kelsey said it’ll be important to encourage community members and students to support local businesses once the town opens up again.
“Like don’t mention going to places like Twin Peaks and Olive Garden or even the cheaper places on the interstate because they can weather a storm like this,” Kelsey said. “We really need to encourage people to walk down the hill and come shop downtown because it’s going to be a long, long struggle for locally owned businesses.”
Kelsey said he encourages Texas State and Southwest Texas alumni to come back to town, visit their alma mater and support the community.
“Stay in a hotel or a local bed and breakfast downtown, go splash around the river, float the river and visit and eat at (your) favorite places to eat at when (you) went to school here,” Kelsey said. “I would hope that that first weekend everyone is back would just be packed.”
Kelsey said local family businesses are going to need a lot of help from community members and students to keep the town to stay the way that it is and to keep the spirit of San Marcos alive.
“We are going to have to bring San Marcos back to the rising star that it is,” Kelsey said.
2nd place: Grins
3rd place: Gil’s Broiler