Best Boutique: Pitaya

Best boutique: Pitaya
Best boutique: Pitaya

From styling for the cute and affordable to keeping close relations with customers, Pitaya has made its mark on San Marcos.
The store, located at 230 N LBJ Dr, was recently voted the Best Boutique, the owner of the boutique Micheal Mazor said he was inspired to start up the shop after a trip through Mexico and Central America in 1990. After the trip, Mazor started selling his Central American keepsakes and souvenirs to cover college expenses.
After seeing success with this endeavor, Mazor decided to focus all his time on starting up Pitaya. He went from selling on college campuses to boutiques and expanding imports from Ecuador, Costa Rica and Thailand. After selling handmade indigenous items, Mazor made the switch to a trendy fashion boutique, but it was on the original trip through Central America that Mazor said inspiration for the shop’s name originated.
“When I started the company, I used to buy a lot of dragon fruit, also known as pitaya, from Guatemala street kids,” Mazor said. “It was still esoteric at the time, and I liked the ring of it.”
Mazor said through the years trends have changed and styles have evolved, one concept has stayed the same for Pitaya however: Commitment to customers.
“We want to help you look good but we don’t want to just make sales—-we want to make customers,” Mazor said.
The concept of doing more is what makes store manager Kathleen Nash proud to work at Pitaya.
“We form a bond when helping them pick out outfits to try on and by offering honest opinions once they are trying things on,” Nash said. “We won’t lie to you just to get you to buy something. We also don’t judge you!”
2nd place:Uptown Cheapskate
3rd place: MINK Salon and Barber Studio