Legends of ghosts haunt students on campus years later

Second annual Phi Kappa Psi and Delta Zeta Haunted house in San Marcos, Texas. The entire house was funded and bootstrapped by the eight residents of the fraternity. All proceeds go to the boys and girls club of America.

Photo by Felipe Gomez | Staff Photographer

For thousands of years, citizens have lived San Marcos. Embedded in the historic town lurk stories of those who have died but cling to the life they once had. Legends of ghosts on campus live on.

Sterry Hall

Every year students walk in and out of Texas State’s doors, leaving their footprints and a moment of their life behind. Sterry Hall has housed students since the late 1960’s, and myths of ghosts have come to haunt the dorm.
Mia Nevarez, child and family development freshmen, said she encountered what seemed to be a spirit one day while in the shower.
Nevarez was showering one day, completely alone in the restroom, with music playing on her phone. She soon realized she could hear someone singing along to the music.
“There was no one there,” Nevarez said. “I was sure of it.”
Madison Cabrera, criminal justice freshman, has had firsthand experience with one of the ghosts who supposedly haunts the dorm.
Cabrera said she was in her friend’s room one night and around 2:30 AM a loud bang was heard on the dorm room’s door. A large shadow seeped into the room from under the door, however when they opened the door no one was in the hall. Suddenly, posters and decor came crashing down onto the floor although no one was near them.
“It couldn’t have been anything human,” Cabrera said. “It was so freaky.”

Butler Hall

Butler Hall was constructed in 1965 and has collected haunting stories over the years. Recently, rumors emerged regarding the haunting of Room 222.
D’Erica Poucarter, nursing freshman, said she has heard many of these rumors.
Poucarter said she has heard rumors about a ghost haunting the girls who previously lived in the room. She said drawers would open in the middle of the night, noises were heard and items would fall to the ground without cause.
“Apparently one night, one of the girls fell asleep and she woke up to pictures of her sleeping on her laptop,” Poucarter said. “Her roommate said she was asleep too, so it couldn’t have been her who took the pictures.”