Greek life should not be hated on

On Texas State’s campus, Greek life organizations tend to fall victim to myriad bad views and stereotypes. Whispers of people claim sororities and fraternities are a waste of money, the equivalency of buying friends, have too strict of a “regime” or serve people who do not care about education and simply want to party. Yet, these biases ignore the benefits of these organizations and the positive impacts they can bring to members’ lives.
While a point of contention is often how expensive Greek life can be, there are reasons for the dues, like paying for events where money is raised for charities or outside organizations. Chapters usually have a specific organization they donate to or help fundraise for, such as Autism Speaks, Children’s Miracle Network, Huntsman Cancer Institute and Feeding America, just to mention a few on campus.
Such events and their benefits extend to the San Marcos community as well. Several chapters require mandatory volunteer hours for each member to complete; these are often done through local efforts like working through Keep San Marcos Beautiful, helping at local schools or the Hays County Food Bank.
Additional fees cover fun events, maintaining the chapter house—if applicable—and national dues. While there are differences in prices among different chapters, the money goes back into the members and community.
Chapters encourage members to be their best selves through Greek life. Organizations help prepare for the future by teaching sociability and professionalism, having higher quality of life post grad and often make the transition into college life easier and smoother.
Depending on the sorority and fraternity, there is an emphasis on maintaining academic points, being involved in community service and supporting other local chapters while holding each other to the standard of Nationals. Being part of Greek life is not all parties and getting drunk. There is accountability for maintaining a high standard.
Furthermore, Greek life allows for individuals to establish bonds with members of their same organization. Connections created can be highly useful in the future. One of the best aspects of Greek life is the networking opportunities, not just in local chapters, but at the national level.
People participating in Greek life are not “buying friends,” nor are they wasting money. Members spend money on the social events they want to attend, the fundraising events they contribute to and the investment in their future. Members do not waste their time partying away but rather gather experience by becoming part of a group and having the opportunity to take on various leadership positions.
Greek affiliation is often misunderstood and unfairly stereotyped due to incidents that have occurred but this is not the case for every fraternity or sorority. Not everyone in Greek life is involved to party. To fully understand the values involved, someone cannot simply look at Greek life from an outside perspective to accurately make generalizations based on a few encounters with various organizations or its members. The ones breaking the rules should be chased off-campus, but there is no reason to ban all Greek life.
Sororities and fraternities may not be something everyone wants to be involved in, but that does not warrant organizations being expelled from campus. There are amazing people in fraternities and sororities who are trying to better themselves and those around them. This is the epitome of what Greek life strives to do and why it should remain.