Students hold sit-in following yesterday’s arrests

Students gather in LBJ for a sit-in May 2Photo by Samantha Guerrero

Students gather in LBJ for a sit-in May 2

Photo by Samantha Guerrero

Photo by Samantha Guerrero

Photo by Samantha Guerrero

Sonia Garcia, News Editor

A sit-in in LBJ started around 7 p.m. on the fourth floor of LBJ on May 2. The sit-in is being led by Resistance TXST.

The sit-in comes the day four students are released from the Hays County Jail after being arrested on campus May 1. Resistance TXST advocates for the rights of underrepresented students on campus.

Their demands include the handling of student conduct issues by the Dean of Students rather than the San Marcos Police Department. In which case they state students should not be transferred from the University Police Department to county jail for misdemeanor charges. They wish for the creation of a student task force to assist in non-violent offenses.

They request the mandatory sensitivity training for university police officers. They stated UPD should be trained in de-escalation tactics and how to recognize and overcome biases regarding minority students.

Also, the addition of a cultural diversity requirement to the general core curriculum, including the expansion of diverse course options under current core requirements.

Lastly, they request Student Government create a campus workforce to protect workers rights throughout the university.