Four students arrested following on-campus clash

Samantha Guerrero, Staff Writer

University Police Department officers make one of four arrests May 1 near the Evans Liberal Arts Building.

Photo by Chinedu Chukuka
University Police Department officers make one of four arrests May 1 near the Evans Liberal Arts Building following an altercation with counter-protesters who gathered in anticipation of the arrival of the Texas Nomads SAR, a group that announced via social media it was coming to campus to hold a demonstration in opposition to Student Government’s proposed TPUSA ban.

UPDATE: 3:54 p.m. update:

UPD released an FAQ at 3:54 p.m. answering questions regarding the arrests, stating “some students engaged in a heated discussion which unfortunately escalated into a physical altercation between two students.”

The arrested students were transported to the Hays County Jail for arraignment before a judge, according to the release. Additionally, no no injuries have been reported.

UPD arrested four students on campus around noon Wednesday after a protest went awry. 

Eyewitness accounts via social media stated a counter-protestor took a MAGA hat off another student and was subsequently arrested, setting off a chain of arrests with no charges yet announced. Nayir Freeman, Claudia Gasponi, Tyvonte Williams Davis and Lana Laniya were arrested by UPD officers and turned over to the San Marcos Police Department. 

University spokesperson Jayme Blaschke did not know what the students were charged with or what specifically happened. The university released a statement during the protest that stated the four students had been arrested and that law enforcement would continue to monitor the situation on campus.

The counter-protest was held by on-campus activists in anticipation of the arrival of the Texas Nomads SAR, a group that announced via social media it was coming to campus to hold a demonstration in opposition to Student Government’s proposed TPUSA ban. As of 3:30 p.m., the group had not been seen on campus and had no ties to the arrests.

Students crowded Nueces, where UPD is housed, for information on why the students were detained. Students are attempting to get lawyers for the arrested students.

Sawyer Click and Sonia Garcia contributed to this story.