Best Sushi: Kobe Japanese Steakhouse

Best Sushi: Kobe Japanese Steakhouse. Photo Courtesy of Andrew Chen

Kobe Japanese Steakhouse, often called Kobe, has been a pioneer, introducing endless sushi, which features endless sushi rolls, appetizers and entrees, to San Marcos community members since 2005.

Located at 210 Springtown Way, Kobe is owned by Andrew Chen who first helped run the restaurant with his father, Wen, but took full ownership after he died last year.

“It was my father’s dream to have his own line of restaurants,” Chen said. “I went to college majoring in food and beverage management, and I have a strong passion for continuing what my parents have done.”

The COVID-19 pandemic has forced the restaurant to close its dining room, but Chen said that hasn’t stopped his team and him from serving their customers.

“As a business, we have to adapt to change,” Chen said. “We have implemented online ordering to make it as easy as possible for guests to order. With many people not having a steady income, we decided to put on some great specials, including a reduced price hibachi menu and offering all our sushi rolls for $5.”

To see more of Kobe’s announcements, menu and specials, please visit their website.

2nd place: Sakura and Umami (tied for second)
3rd place: Wok N Roll