Hays County jail reports one new inmate COVID-19 case

Cameron Hubbard

A room in the Hays County Jail, Monday, March 11, 2019, in San Marcos.

Daniel Weeks, News Editor

The Hays County Sheriff’s Office reports one new inmate COVID-19 case in the Hays County jail Aug. 4, totaling 108 positive tests and two current active cases among inmates. Among the jail’s corrections staff and law enforcement staff there are 11 active cases.

According to the Sheriff’s Office, 424, 213 and 47 tests have been administered to inmates, corrections staff and law enforcement staff, respectively. 94 inmates have recovered and 30 staff (corrections and law enforcement combined) have recovered. 24 tests are currently pending in the jail.

The University Star will continue to provide COVID-19 updates as any additional information is released.

Individuals concerned about possible exposure to COVID-19 are encouraged to contact their healthcare provider or the Hays County Local Health Department at 512.393.5520. For additional information about COVID-19, visit the Texas Department of State Health Services or the Centers for Disease Control website.

The University Star’s COVID-19 coverage can be found here.

Did you like this story? Share it on Flipboard

Flipboard share
Daniel Weeks, News Editor

Daniel Weeks is the news editor at The University Star and has been with The Star since the fall of 2019. As news editor, Daniel copy edits all news content, manages the news staff and assigns news stories created by his team of reporters, fellow staff members and contributors. Before becoming news editor,  Daniel served as the assistant news editor and as a news reporter. He is currently a junior majoring in journalism and mass communication with a minor in English. He is also an avid coffee drinker and dedicated fan of reality television.