UPDATE: Vehicle rollover accident results in additional death, three dead

Star file photo

Daniella Carrera, News Reporter

Update: May 27 11:30 a.m.

The Travis County medical office announced one of the child occupants of the May 23 single-vehicle rollover accident has died. On May 26, the seven-year old died due to their injuries from the accident. The child was receiving treatment at the Dell Children’s Medical Center in Austin.

The two other children injured in the accident, ages 8 and 9, are in stable condition and remain hospitalized.

Original brief:

The San Marcos Police Department responded to the scene of a single-vehicle rollover accident on IH-35 on May 23 that left two dead.

Witnesses said a 2002 white Ford Explorer left IH-35 and flipped multiple times, causing the SUV to land on the East Access road, resulting in the ejection of nine of the 10 occupants.

The SUV was driven by Tamera Tychelle Gordley, who is suspected to be only the individual that was wearing a seatbelt. Five adults and five children, all of San Antonio, were in the vehicle traveling to Austin for a family gathering.

Three of the five children, ages 7, 8 and 9were transported by medics to Dell Children’s Hospital in Austin and are currently in critical non-stable condition. Two other children, ages 8 and 10, did not require hospital care and were released to relatives.

All of the adults were transported to Seton Ascension Hospital in Kyle with multiple injuries.

Destiny Bridges, 24, was pronounced dead on the scene by Justice of the Peace Maggie H. Moreno. Sean Thompson, 21, husband of Gordley, succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead at the hospital by Justice of the Peace Beth Smith. Next of kin for Bridges and Thompson have been notified. The other two adult occupants were Dorothy Stinson and Eric Cooper.

The San Marcos Police Collision Investigation Team is still investigating the incident, and at this time speed as well as a blown tire are suspected factors in the crash. After the initial investigation of the Ford Explorer, it is determined that the vehicle was only suited for five passengers.

Bridges and Thompson are the fourth and fifth traffic fatalities for San Marcos in 2020.

Did you like this story? Share it on Flipboard

Flipboard share
Viewed 1,406 times, 1 visits today