COVID-19 updates from Gov. Abbott’s office, April 11, 2020

Gov. Abbott addresses members of the media during a press conference, Monday, March 23, 2020, at the State Capitol.

Certain regulations on physicians-in-training waived
Gov. Greg Abbott waived certain restrictions Saturday on physicians-in-training to increase health care capacity during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The waivers allow hospitals and facilities associated with Graduate Medical Education programs to utilize PIT permit holders in areas outside of their training programs as long as there is proper physician oversight. For example, residents in a surgery residency program can assist in a department with a surge of patients.
“I am grateful for all the frontline health care workers across the state serving their fellow Texans during this challenging time,” Abbott said.
Individuals concerned about possible exposure to COVID-19 are encouraged to contact their healthcare provider or the Hays County Local Health Department at 512.393.5520. For additional information about COVID-19, visit the Texas Department of State Health Services or the Centers for Disease Control website.
The University Star’s COVID-19 coverage can be found here.