San Marcos receives $6 million in coronavirus relief funds

Rebecca Harrell

As of March 31, 2020, the confirmed cases by city in Hays County is: Austin, 3; Buda, 9, Dripping Springs, 2; Kyle, 12; San Marcos, 12; Wimberley, 0; Woodcreek, 0; Driftwood, 0.

Daniel Weeks, Assistant News Editor

U.S. Rep. Lloyd Doggett announced April 3, San Marcos will be receiving over $6 million in federal funding for housing and transportation.

The funding originates from a coronavirus relief package known as the CARES Act. Of the funds, $6.4 million will be dedicated to public transportation in San Marcos, and $425,261 will go to the Community Development Block Grant.

“While my first priority remains trying to speed up urgently-needed help for those suddenly jobless or struggling to keep a small business afloat, our new coronavirus relief legislation is also delivering resources for vital local public needs. Mayor Hughson and the Council can determine how best to apply these dollars to meet our many community challenges,” Doggett stated in a press release.

Individuals concerned about possible exposure to COVID-19 are encouraged to contact their healthcare provider or the Hays County Local Health Department at 512.393.5520. For additional information about COVID-19, visit the Texas Department of State Health Services or the Centers for Disease Control website.

The University Star’s COVID-19 coverage can be found here.

Did you like this story? Share it on Flipboard

Flipboard share
Viewed 1,100 times, 1 visits today