Gresch Jensen: New kid on the block

Junior transfer quarterback Gresch Jensen handing off the ball April 13 to senior running back Anthony D. Taylor. Courtesy image by Texas State Athletics.

While Texas State’s spring schedule concluded with a scoreless game, a few new faces hope to give the Bobcats’ offense life.
Besides the multiple coaching staff changes from the Jake Spavital era, the Bobcats have also added a couple of interesting players to keep an eye on, including quarterback Gresch Jensen.
Jensen played high school football in Washington and played at Montana for his first year before transferring to Fullerton Community College for the 2018 season. Jensen is reunited with former Montana coach Bob Stitt, who was announced as the offensive coordinator for the Bobcats a week before Jensen’s transfer. Stitt said he recruited Jensen to transfer to Texas State and had some high praise for his quarterback.
“Gresch and I had a great relationship at Montana,” Stitt said. “It’s great to be coaching him again. To say I’m excited is an understatement. I believe he’s in a great place now here at Texas State.”
In 2017 at Montana, Jensen took over as the starter after teammate Reese Phillips suffered an injury, throwing for 2,531 yards and 20 touchdowns along with 10 interceptions in 10 games. He also ran for 203 yards and six touchdowns. Jensen’s successful season led to him becoming a HERO Sports first-team FCS All-American and finish third in voting for the Jerry Rice Award.
“I haven’t been around many people who love the game of football more than Gresch,” Stitt said. “He’s very intelligent and in a great position to succeed at this program.”
Jensen had an immediate impact at Fullerton Junior College in California for his sophomore season, throwing for 2,330 yards and 16 touchdowns with five interceptions in 10 games. He also ran 289 yards for six touchdowns.
Fullerton College offensive coordinator Garrett Campbell had the chance to coach Jensen, who he believes is a unique individual.
“When Gresch came to Fullerton, he was already a mature and developed player,” Campbell said. “He is an extremely consistent player whether it’s on the field, in the media room or in the weight room. He is a very engaging player that wants the best for himself as well as his teammates.”
For Jensen, coming to a new university has had its perks. Whether it’s on the football field or in the classroom, he believes he has found himself a new home.
“Coming from halfway across the country in Seattle, it’s been challenging but it has been a great experience,” Jensen said. “I love the new environment and the people have been great.”
Despite the welcoming environment Jensen described, the adjustment to living in San Marcos has come with some challenges.
“I’m still learning and trying to figure out where everything is here,” Jensen said. “I’ve heard the summers here are really hot so I’ll have to learn to get used to that.”
Jensen made his debut for Texas State in the spring game that took place on April 13. He had an impressive performance that caught the attention of the Bobcat faithful, completing 11 of 21 passes (52 percent) for 130 yards and two touchdowns.
One of these passes was a 68 yard throw to receiver Mason Hays. Two plays later, he found Hays in the end zone for the first score of the game. He also ran for 14 yards on three carries.