Suspected drunk driver hits SMPD officer

Photo Courtesy of the City of San Marcos

San Marcos Police Officer Claudia Cormier endures life-threatening injuries after being struck by a suspected drunk driver late May 18.
Neil Sheehan, 58, of Flower Mound, Texas, was transported and booked into the Hays County Jail for intoxication assault on a public servant, a second-degree felony failure to slow causing serious bodily injury.
At approximately 9:39 p.m., San Marcos Police Dispatch received a call about a traffic hazard with items on the road on IH35 northbound just north of the McCarty Overpass. Three-year Police Officer Cormier arrived at 9:45 p.m. soon to be struck by a 2000 Ford Expedition driven by Sheehan.
Patrol officers responded to calls that an officer had been struck by a vehicle, and when they arrived found Cormier with severe, life-threatening injuries. She was transported to Seton-Hays in Kyle where she underwent emergency surgery. This morning the City of San Marcos stated she is in stable condition but sedated pending further surgeries.
The Texas Department of Public Safety Troopers assisted SMPD in the investigation, and arrested Sheehan. They obtained a warrant for his blood; the results are pending.
The collision is still an on-going investigation by the San Marcos Police Collision Investigation Team and Texas DPS State Crash Team.
The San Marcos Police Department asks for prayers for Cormier’s recovery and her family in their time of need.