Texas State softball advances to quarterfinals in Sun Belt Championship Tournament

By Kate Connors
The Bobcats run onto the field in excitement as their first Sun Belt Championship game begins. Photo by Kate Connors.

A four hour rain delay did not deter Bobcat softball late Wednesday night as they defeated eighth-seed University of Louisiana-Monroe 3-0 to kick off the at-home Sun Belt Championship tournament.
After a bye in the first round, the fourth-seed Bobcats shut out the Warhawks with a strong pitching performance, rising to 9-7 in conference play as they advance to the tournament quarterfinals.
Tara Oltmann, Samara Lagaway, and Hailey MacKay put up an RBI apiece as the Bobcats played small game to keep up with ULM’s pitching. The RBI marks Oltmann’s 41stof the season, ranking her at eighth in program history.
Dalilah Barrera started the game pitching, going 3.1 innings with zero hits, zero runs, and four strikeouts. Megan King captured the win with a relief role, pitching through 3.2 innings to allow two hits, zero runs, and two strikeouts.
Texas State will take on first-seed Louisiana for the quarterfinal round of the championship on Thursday at 12:30 p.m.