Man arrested after watching female students sleep, tied to burglaries throughout San Marcos

Photo courtesy of the City of San Marcos

City of San Marcos

Sierra Martin

Early this morning there were multiple burglaries at San Jacinto Hall, where a male suspect took items from several unlocked dorms and watched female students while they were sleeping. San Marcos Police Department was able to connect the suspect to a string of recent burglaries and break-ins in San Marcos.

The suspect, Jose Ernesto Chavez, was arrested by University Police Department officers while trying to leave the building. According to UPD all stolen items have been recovered.

Chavez is 29 years old and not a Texas State Student, it is unknown how he accessed the building. The San Marcos Police Department was notified of UPD’s arrest and matched the description of Chavez to recent burglaries in the area.

While in SMPD custody, Chavez confessed to an incident that took place on Sunday, Apr. 12 at Dakota Ranch Apartments, located on Old Ranch Road 12. The victim reported to police she woke up with an unknown man in her bedroom, on her bed and grabbing her breasts.

He has also confessed to a burglary that took place at the Edge Apartments, also located on Old Ranch Road 12, which occurred on Sunday, Apr. 21.

Chavez has been charged with one count of burglary of a habitation with intent to commit a sexual offense, one count of burglary of a habituation felony one and three counts of burglary of habitation felony two. He remains in the Hays County Jail on a $150,000 bond.

If you have any information, please call UPD at 512-245-2883.