Faculty Senate talks campus clash and new legislation

The view from JCK.Photo by Julie Gonzales

The view from JCK.

Photo by Julie Gonzales

The view from JCK.

Photo by Julie Gonzales

The view from JCK.

Photo by Julie Gonzales

Julie Gonzales

Faculty Senate leader Alexander White started the May 1 Faculty Senate meeting by briefing the other senators of the altercation between students that happened midday. Just a few moments before the meeting was scheduled, JCK was on lockdown.

Students protested and gathered in crowds due to the anticipated white supremacy group that would march on campus. Despite the group not showing up, students started a protest on both sides which led to four students being arrested.

Faculty Senate agreed the commotion was out of their hands.

Senate bill number 25, was discussed by the faculty senate. This bill would allow acceptance of all courses from a student’s junior college to be admitted to Texas State.

This bill is being considered because of the high tuition rate of the University and the amount of students coming in from a junior college.

Faculty Senate introduces run off Senators from the education, health professions, liberal arts and science and engineering departments. Fine Arts and Communications do not have a run off. Elections and voting is still ongoing.

A free speech bill is likely to pass but already aligns with the policies that Texas state upholds. Therefore, not requiring much action.

Senate leader announced that there will not be new construction on a health building or a STEM building.

Faculty Senate leader also reported that six Texas State graduate students received awards with external money.

Faculty Senate meetings meet at 4 p.m. every Wednesday in JCK 880.