Texas State connects on four home runs to defeat Houston Baptist

Redshirt senior outfielder Skyler Valentine warms up before an inning.

Photo by Kate Connors.

Texas State continued their offensive explosion over the last three games as the Bobcats defeated the Houston Baptist University Huskies 17-8 in non-conference game Tuesday night.
Texas State connected on four home runs for the night as the ‘Cats have been on an offensive tear since their 12-0 shutout loss to Georgia Southern last Friday Night.
The last three games have seen the Bobcats average 13 runs per game,but head coach of the Bobcats Ty Harrington said energy added to the team’s success.
“Energy for us was important,” Harrington said. “A good team has to come out after a long road trip get come late… these guys (Texas State) have to suck it all and play tough tonight.”
After a Jaylen Hubbard walk and a Jaxon Williams single, Will Hollis was able to score as the runner on second base after Houston Baptist committed an error while trying to convert the double play.
John Wuthrich hammered home a 3-run home run to tie the game up at 4-4. A Travon Benton triple forced the Huskies to switch pitchers in the middle of the first inning.
Despite having the bases loaded with one out, the Bobcats could not hit in any more baserunners leaving the game tied. With runners on second and first, Wuthrich barely missed his second home run of the game and had to settle with long single loading the bases.
Houston Baptist made a comeback in the fifth inning scoring four runs on two hits to cut the lead 11-8. A Hollis single was able to score one run for the Bobcats in the bottom of the fifth but were unable to score any runs despite leaving two runners on third and second base.
Cole Coffey kicked off the sixth inning with a solo home run to give the Bobcats a 13-8 lead. After a Peyton Lewis standup double, Jaylen Hubbard hammered home a 2-run shot into right field to extend the lead to 15-8. After a single, Will Hollis connected with another Bobcat homerun going back to back to give Texas State a 17-8 lead.
Texas State held Houston Baptist to zero runs in the last innings to secure the win. Will Hollis and John Wuthrich combined for seven hits, eight RBIs and two home runs in the win while Jaylen Hubbard and Cole Coffey combined for two home runs as well. Harrington said the duo have been instrumental for wins situationally.
“I thought they (Hollis and Wuthrich) were good,” Harrington said, “Will put in the work this afternoon and John has been swinging the bat really well… he was good for us last weekend.”
Texas State continues Sun Belt play with a home series against Arkansas State as the Bobcats continue their march towards the Sun Belt conference tournamnet.