Bobcats upset Aggies 5-3

Sophomore Hunter McMahon pitches to a Troy player at bat to start the second game of the day on April 5.

Photo by Kate Connors

Texas State baseball (21-12) upset No. 12 ranked Texas A&M 5-3 Tuesday after traveling to College Station to take on the Aggies in a single-game matchup.
The first batter of the game, Jaylen Hubbard, led off with a double. Hubbard went on to score on a sacrifice fly by Dalton Shuffield. Texas A&M’s starting pitcher walked the next three consecutive batters setting up John Wuthrich for a grand slam giving Texas State an early 5-0 lead. 
Texas A&M’s starting pitcher only lasted one out into the first inning (Shuffield’s sac fly) before being pulled. He gave up three walks and five runs on only two hits.
The Bobcat’s starting pitcher Garrett Herrmann threw for three and one-third innings. He struck out three batters, walked one and gave up three earned runs on seven hits.
Texas A&M’s three-run fourth inning would prove to be the only scoring the Aggie’s could muster Tuesday night. Texas State’s relief pitching lived up to all challenges as they held one of the most efficient offenses in the country scoreless in the last five innings of play.
Texas State baseball is scheduled to take the field Friday in Statesboro, GA. for a three-game series against Georgia Southern.