Softball splits doubleheader against Appalachian State

File+photo

File photo

Texas State softball played a doubleheader against Appalachian State Friday at Bobcat Softball Stadium. In game one, the Bobcats shutout the Mountaineers with a score of 2-0. The Bobcats were unable to hold on and lost game two with a final score of 2-1.
The Bobcats earned two hits through the first three innings in game one. In the bottom of the fourth senior outfielder Kennedy Cline (1-2) hit a two-RBI single to right field, bringing in freshman pinch runner Molly Damiani and junior Haleigh Davis breaking the scoreless tie.
The Mountaineers were unable to catch up to the Bobcats earning only one hit in their final three frames.
Sophomore pitcher Meagan King put on another impressive performance. King pitched a full 7.0 innings, allowed only five hits, did not walk a batter and struck out a season-best seven players. King has earned a win in each of her last eight decisions.
Appalachian State was quick on the bat in game two getting an early 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning. After some deliberation, a called double-play was overturned by the home plate umpire granting the Mountaineers their first run.
The Bobcats earned two hits through the first four innings but were unable to bring a player home.
The Mountaineers came back to double their lead with a solo home run in the top of the fifth inning.
Texas State started the bottom of the seventh inning with a leadoff home run from sophomore infielder ArieAnn Bell. It was too late leaving one on base the Bobcats were unable to recover and lost with a final score of 2-1.
This loss marks the first against Appalachian State since they joined the Sun Belt. Texas State won their previous 10 contests.
The Bobcats look to clinch the series on April 7 at 11 a.m. from Bobcat Softball Stadium.