Student Government reads legislation proposing banning Turning Point USA from campus, more

Student Government meeting in LBJ.

Photo by Sonia Garcia

Senators read legislation during the April 1 meeting that proposed banning the conservative student organization from campus on grounds of “racism, white supremacy, harassment of students and staff, and lastly, illegal funding of conservative candidates in Student Government.”
The latter references allegations that arose from a senator last fall that then-President Brooklyn Boreing had received unreported donations from Turning Point USA and its subsidiaries. Though ï»¿The University Star ï»¿was unable to find corroborating evidence, the investigation revealed a lineage of TPUSA-related candidates, including deposed President Connor Clegg.
Eight people stepped up to the podium to speak about an amendment that had been introduced to Senate this week. 
Stormi Rodriguez, the president of Texas State’s Turning Point USA chapter, said should the legislation be passed, the organization would not stand down and take it.
“The fact that Student Government is considering getting rid of a conservative student organization is once again proof that Student Government is a joke,” Rodriguez said at the podium.
The supporters of the legislation brought attention to TPUSA’s professor watch list, which compiles a list of professors all across the nation and systematically targets them.
Sen. Catherine Wicker, the vice president of College Democrats and a supporter of the legislation, said it isn’t focused on silencing Conservative students. Instead, she said it brings attention to some of the things TPUSA has done.
“Elizabeth Bishop, a professor on the professor watch list, is still on this list despite being away in Algeria teaching,” Wicker said. “If that doesn’t say something about this organization, then I don’t know what does.”
Many members of the Senate spoke during an open discussion about this legislation that lasted over 40 minutes.
Sen. Preston Nieves said while he doesn’t agree with the controversial nature of TPUSA, he does not condone silencing the organization.
“It’s infringing on the rights for conservative students to express themselves,” Nieves said.
The student government passed a bill to allow first-year students to shadow members of the Student Senate in order to gain experience.
According to Senator Mendez, a candlelight vigil will be held April 4 at 8 p.m. near the Stallions in the Quad in memory of Susie Mullen, the Viking helmet-clad icon of Texas State’s dining halls.
Student Government also passed legislation to put the names of those who passed away in the Iconic Village fires along the standing stones memorial in between Flowers and Lampasas. Student Government is also encouraging the staff of the LBJSC to highlight their emergency exits in the building. Other legislation was read to allow the Student Government to sit in on the discussions relating to how student’s fees and tuition will be spent.