Texas State hits a nine-game winning streak with Georgia State series sweep

Haleigh David catches a pitch in the March 31 game against Georgia State.Photo by Kate Connors

After a disappointing sweep by the University of Louisiana at Lafayette earlier in the season, Texas State softball has made a complete turnaround, reaching a nine-game win streak with a home sweep against Georgia State this weekend.
With a four-run inning in the fourth, Texas State continued their hot streak with a 6-0 win over the Georgia State Panthers and completed the series sweep. Head coach Ricci Woodard attributed the win to the pitching play.
“It starts in the circle,” Woodard said. “Usually when the pitcher keeps us in the game, throwing strikes and attacking the zone, we do a better job all the way around.”
After two straight outs in the third inning, Georgia State walked the next two batters. With a 1-2 count, Hailey Davis hit in Tara Oltmann on an RBI single to give Texas State the 1-0 lead. Following another walk, Texas State loaded the bases with two outs, but a fly out ended the inning and left three runners on base.
In the top of the third, Georgia State put runners on second and first with one runner out. However, Krista Jacobs forced two fly outs to keep the Panthers off the board.
In the fourth, the Panthers hammered a double with one out to put Georgia State in a prime position to tie the game. Texas State managed to hold on and keep the 1-0 lead by stranding the runner on second.
In the bottom of the fourth, ArieAnn Bell and Samara Lagway hit back-to-back singles to put runners on second and first. Following Kennedy Cline’s dangerous hit to the face by a pitch, Mari Carnek scored Bell on a fielder’s choice to extend the 2-0 lead.
After Georgia State converted a double play on a pop-up, Bailee Carter knocked in Damiani to put runners on the corners with two outs and give the Bobcats a 3-0 lead. Texas State scored again on two outs with a double steal to add another run.
Oltamann connected with a sharp single into right field and scored Carter to put Texas State up 5-0, and a fly out ended the four-run inning.
The Bobcats added another run in the fifth inning with an RBI single from Jordyn Smith.
Texas State continued their strong pitching with Krista Jacobs going 6 innings with no earned runs. Over the last 11 games, the pitching staff has been averaging a 1.6 ERA and contributed to two conference series sweeps Woodard said.
“She (Jacobs) did a great job for us,” Woodard said. “Last night, I was thinking about starting her and went back and forth about it… this morning I had the same gut feeling to start her and I thought she did a great job.”
Texas State plays again Wednesday in Austin to battle the Texas Longhorns before resuming conference play against Appalachian State.